The Canterbury Rams would like to announce the return of Nathan Campbell, for the 2019 Sal’s NBL Season. This announcement comes as new Rams head coach Mick Downer’s sixth player signing. Nathan is currently playing for the Canterbury Knights.
Nathan Campbell was part of the Rams in 2018 where he gained invaluable NBL experience. Leading into this year’s NBL season, Nathan is has been playing for the Canterbury Knights who recently travelled to Melbourne for a 6-game tour. Nathan played his high school basketball at Christchurch Boys High School, and has been a driving force in many successful age group Canterbury Representative Teams.
When asked about Nathan, Rams Assistant Coach, Piet Van Hasselt said –
“Nathan encompasses leadership qualities in everything that he does. He is a hard-nosed competitor and bleeds Canterbury red and black in his veins. He has represented in all of Canterbury’s age groups as well as playing for the Rams and Knights where they took national championships titles in U23s”
Nathan takes pride in playing the game the right way, his positive attitude is contagious on the court and his presence lifts team morale at critical times. He is his own harshest critic and learns and develops after every game.
His defence and positioning is first class. On offence he’s developed his jumper, transition and passing game over recent seasons.”
Nathan is known for his perimeter shooting and being a tenacious defender. He also helped lead the UC Men’s Premier team to a title last year in the Canterbury Basketball Association’s Club Competition. We look forward to Nathan being a part of the Rams family again for 2019!
The Rams are coming off a season in which 6,000 attended the Rams vs Saints game at Horncastle Arena which was a Sals NBL Record Crowd. The team is looking forward to taking 2 games to Horncastle Arena in 2019.
Follow the Rams on Facebook, Instagram & Twitter-
About the Canterbury Rams-
The Canterbury Rams have been revived by a group of basketball enthusiasts with a combination of business and basketball acumen and experience who are committed to establishing a long-term and successful Canterbury Rams franchise that plays a significant role in increasing the numbers participating in community basketball, provides an aspirational development pathway for our talented Canterbury youngsters and contributes to community re-development in Christchurch.
The objectives of the Canterbury Rams involved are philanthropic in nature which is reflected in the fact that the sole beneficiary (limited partner) of the Canterbury Rams is a charitable trust established for the benefit of growing basketball and community development. The vision for the Canterbury Rams is:
- For the Rams to contribute significantly to the growth of basketball throughout the region with a highly performing and well run elite team greatly enhancing the profile and popularity of basketball.
- For the Rams players and coaches to directly benefit junior talent through the region. Youngsters throughout the region will receive coaching from high quality coaches and their heroes, inspiring them to work towards their goals. The support the Rams receive through physiotherapy, podiatry, strength & conditioning, nutrition and sport psychology will also be provided for young up and coming juniors in the region. The Rams will provide a pathway, exposure and access for a significantly greater number of Canterbury players to play successfully at the higher levels.
- For the Rams to facilitate and provide development opportunities and a pathway for coaches throughout the region. By supporting regular group coaching clinics and mentoring opportunities for the coaches in Canterbury, the sharing of knowledge will raise the standard of basketball. Coaches will get access to the latest coaching methodology and through a common goal of developing basketball players, Canterbury’s coaching network will continue to grow.
- For the Rams to assist in providing a development pathway for young talented players who currently struggle to participate due to the extensive financial commitment required through the establishment of a Rams ‘scholarship’ system for promising players that puts a mentoring and financial support structure around them as required.
- For the Rams to make a major contribution to not only the basketball community but also to the Christchurch re-build through bringing an outstanding entertainment option to the city and contributing to the development of best practice basketball and community programmes.