The Canterbury Rams would like to announce the signing of Emmett Naar, for the 2019 Sal’s NBL Season. This announcement comes as new Rams head coach Mick Downer’s third player signing. Emmett is currently playing for the Illawarra Hawks in the ANBL.
Emmett Naar, born in Sydney, played his college basketball at Saint Mary’s University where he averaged 9.5 points per game and 7.9 assists in his senior year, breaking the schools record for most assists formerly held by NBA guard, Matthew Dellavedova. That year he was also named in the First-team All-West Coast Conference. Emmett is currently playing in his first season in the Australian NBL for the Illawarra Hawks where he recently had 18 points, 4 rebounds and 2 assists in a win against the Sydney Kings.
When asked about Emmett, Rams Head Coach, Mick Downer said “As a club we are really excited about Emmett’s signing. Currently completing his first season in the Australian NBL and a contender for the rookie of the year, he is an amazing young player with a mature head. Highly regarded by the Hawks coaching staff and team mates Emmett’s high IQ and understanding of the game and his ability to run a team are strengths that we are looking forward to at the Rams. The all-time assist leader at the highly successful St Marys, California Emmett has a proven history of successful and locker room leadership. We welcome Emmett to the Rams family for the 2019 season.”
Rams Fans can look forward to seeing Emmett on the court , where his leadership, IQ, passing and scoring ability will be a great addition to the team.
The Rams are coming off a season in which 6,000 attended the Rams vs Saints game at Horncastle Arena which was a Sals NBL Record Crowd. The team is looking forward to taking 2 games to Horncastle Arena in 2019. Stay tuned regarding team announcements including season membership sales being released on 4th February.
Follow the Rams on Facebook, Instagram & Twitter-
About the Canterbury Rams-
The Canterbury Rams have been revived by a group of basketball enthusiasts with a combination of business and basketball acumen and experience who are committed to establishing a long-term and successful Canterbury Rams franchise that plays a significant role in increasing the numbers participating in community basketball, provides an aspirational development pathway for our talented Canterbury youngsters and contributes to community re-development in Christchurch.
The objectives of the Canterbury Rams involved are philanthropic in nature which is reflected in the fact that the sole beneficiary (limited partner) of the Canterbury Rams is a charitable trust established for the benefit of growing basketball and community development. The vision for the Canterbury Rams is:
- For the Rams to contribute significantly to the growth of basketball throughout the region with a highly performing and well run elite team greatly enhancing the profile and popularity of basketball.
- For the Rams players and coaches to directly benefit junior talent through the region. Youngsters throughout the region will receive coaching from high quality coaches and their heroes, inspiring them to work towards their goals. The support the Rams receive through physiotherapy, podiatry, strength & conditioning, nutrition and sport psychology will also be provided for young up and coming juniors in the region. The Rams will provide a pathway, exposure and access for a significantly greater number of Canterbury players to play successfully at the higher levels.
- For the Rams to facilitate and provide development opportunities and a pathway for coaches throughout the region. By supporting regular group coaching clinics and mentoring opportunities for the coaches in Canterbury, the sharing of knowledge will raise the standard of basketball. Coaches will get access to the latest coaching methodology and through a common goal of developing basketball players, Canterbury’s coaching network will continue to grow.
- For the Rams to assist in providing a development pathway for young talented players who currently struggle to participate due to the extensive financial commitment required through the establishment of a Rams ‘scholarship’ system for promising players that puts a mentoring and financial support structure around them as required.
- For the Rams to make a major contribution to not only the basketball community but also to the Christchurch re-build through bringing an outstanding entertainment option to the city and contributing to the development of best practice basketball and community programmes.