Originally from Tauranga, Sam Smith attended Tauranga Boys High School before moving to Christchurch to play for Lincoln University. Sam played for both the Canterbury Rams and the U19 Canterbury team in 2014. Sam then headed to start his college career at Brown Mackie College in August, 2014 where he played and started every game. He averaged 11 points, 7 rebounds and 4 assists. Sam then moved on to Texas Wesleyan University for his Junior and Senior year. Sam has come back to New Zealand during off seasons and trained as a part of previous Rams squads. Over the past few years during his summer breaks in college Sam has also been part of Canterbury’s U23 national dominance where he has helped them win several national titles. Sam was named in the U23 national tournament team three consecutive years in 2016,17 and 18.
- Favourite Food: Pasta
- Favourite Off Court Activity: Gaming
- Favourite Music Genre: J Cole
- Person who has influenced my basketball the most: Paora Ranui and Kerel Marsh
- Signature Basketball Move: Corner 3
- Favourite Drill: Rabbits
- Least Favourite Drill: Defensive slides
- Current Favourite NBA Team: Oklahoma City Thunder
- Current Favourite NBA Player and Why: Lebron James. Always been my favourite player. He is also the GOAT.